More than 70% of the Indian economy is dependent on agricultural sector.
The huge population of the country translates into the need of growing demands of food each and every year.
The dependency is best reflected when the nation experiences below normal monsoon because it rockets up the prices of food items.
Over the past few years, a number of peasants have committed suicide due to crop failure.
It is to be noted that food grain production dipped by 5.3% in 2014-15.
In order to improve the overall productivity in the agricultural sector, the government of India has come up with an innovative scheme called Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana for the growth of food production and protection of the farmers from crop failures.
The scheme was approved by Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
About the Scheme
The Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana is a national level mission that has been designed for the improvement of farm productivity and for better utilization of different resources in the nation.
The scheme has been formed by mixing three different schemes –
Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP) of the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation (MoWR,RD&GR), Integrated Watershed Management Programme (IWMP) of Department of Land Resources (DoLR) and the On Farm Water Management (OFWM) of Department of Agriculture and Cooperation (DAC).
The scheme has been approved with a budget of Rs 500 Billion or US$ 7.8 Billion with a time period of 5 years.
The decision to approve this scheme was taken on 1st July 2005 in a meeting conducted by Prime Minister through the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA).
The scheme is aimed as a protective measure of providing irrigation to all kinds of agricultural lands and brings the much needed rural prosperity in return.
The funding pattern between center and states is divided in the ration of 75:25 percent.
However, in the case of hilly areas, the funding pattern is in 90:10 ratio.
There are 4 program components of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana and the same is listed under the following headings below:
(1) Watershed Development to improve the overall moisture and soil conservation and ways to stop runoff water and renovation of the traditional water bodies.
(2) Per Drop More Crop for proper monitoring and approving the yearly action plan. It will also look after creating awareness programs increasing the potential use of water source.
(3) Her Khet ko Paani for creating newer sources of water and development of ground water and improvement in the overall water management.
(4) AIBP or Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Program to make sure that all the national projects or major/minor irrigational projects are completed in proper time frame.
Objectives of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana
Some of the broad objectives and missions of this scheme from the Government of India is discussed under the following headings below:
- Attract investments from the private sector in irrigation of lands
- Explore different feasibility in using the waste water from municipal sources for the urban agriculture purpose
- Promote different activities related to water harvesting, farmer crop alignment, field functionalities at grass root level and water management
- Use watershed approach for promoting rainfed lands, ground water regeneration, arresting the runoff water and other kinds of NRM activities
- Recharging of the aquifers and introduction of different kinds of practices for easy conservation of water
- Encourage different activities to save water and enhance technologies for water prevention
- Reduce the wastage of water by improving the efficiency of farmer water use and increasing its availability in both during the season and extent
- Making use of appropriate practices and encouraging technologies for making the best use of water source and its proper channel distribution
- Expansion of the cultivable area and proper physical access of water on those farm lands for assured irrigation purpose
- Achieving the convergence of irrigational investments in district and sub-district level for proper water usage plans
Implementation of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana
# The scheme comes with an investment of Rs 50,000 crore for a time span of 5 years from 2015 to 2020 with the basic objective of achieving convergence of irrigational investments.
# The scheme is implemented with the approach of area development by adopting project execution and allows states to draw irrigation related plans on block/district plans with 5-7 years.
# This government based program will cover all the states and union territories in India and it includes the states in the North Eastern region as well.
# The Prime Minister is the Chairman of this scheme and he will provide proper direction for proper program framework. The National Executive Committee will oversee the program at national level under the Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog.
# Proper provisions have been made under PMKSY for carrying out extensive activities like water management, water harvesting and crop alignment for the farmers.